Cheek augmentation is a cosmetic procedure aimed at enhancing the volume and contour of the cheeks to achieve a more balanced and youthful appearance. The procedure involves adding volume to the cheeks, typically using implants or dermal fillers, to create a lifted and more defined cheekbone area. Cheek augmentation can be a standalone procedure or part of a comprehensive facial rejuvenation plan. Here’s what you need to know about cheek augmentation:
1. Types of Cheek Augmentation:
- Implants: Cheek implants are solid materials that are surgically placed over the cheekbones to enhance their projection and definition. These implants are made of biocompatible materials and come in various shapes and sizes to suit different facial structures.
- Dermal Fillers: Injectable dermal fillers, such as hyaluronic acid-based fillers, can be used to add volume to the cheeks without surgery. Fillers are injected into the targeted areas to restore lost volume and enhance cheek contours.
Implant Placement: For cheek implant placement, an incision is made inside the mouth or in the lower eyelid area. The implants are carefully positioned over the cheekbones, and the incisions are closed. The procedure is typically performed under anesthesia, and recovery time varies.
Dermal Filler Injection: Dermal filler injections are non-surgical and performed in-office. After applying a numbing cream, the filler is injected into the cheeks using a fine needle. The treatment is relatively quick, and there is minimal downtime.
- Enhanced Cheek Contours: Cheek augmentation can create a more sculpted and defined appearance to the mid-face.
- Youthful Appearance: Fuller cheeks are often associated with youthfulness, and cheek augmentation can help restore lost volume due to aging.
- Balanced Facial Proportions: Well-defined cheekbones contribute to balanced facial proportions and harmony.
- Non-Surgical Option: Dermal filler injections provide a non-surgical option for those seeking temporary cheek enhancement.
Recovery time varies depending on the type of procedure performed. Recovery from cheek implant surgery may involve some swelling and discomfort for a week or more. Dermal filler injections typically have minimal downtime, with some possible swelling and bruising that usually subsides within a few days.
Consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon or facial aesthetic specialist is essential to determine the most suitable approach for your goals. They will evaluate your facial structure, discuss your expectations, and recommend the appropriate type of cheek augmentation procedure based on your individual needs.
Remember that while cheek augmentation can enhance facial features, it’s important to have realistic expectations and choose a qualified and experienced professional to ensure safe and natural-looking results.
What does cheek augmentation do?
Cheek augmentation is a cosmetic procedure designed to enhance the appearance of the cheeks by adding volume, improving contour, and creating a more balanced and youthful facial appearance. The procedure is performed using various techniques, such as implants or dermal fillers, to achieve the desired outcome. Here’s what cheek augmentation can do:
1. Restores Lost Volume: As we age, the natural fat pads in the face can diminish, leading to a sunken or hollow appearance in the cheeks. Cheek augmentation can restore lost volume, creating a plumper and more youthful look.
2. Enhances Cheek Contours: Cheek augmentation can help define and enhance the contours of the cheekbones. Well-defined cheekbones contribute to an aesthetically pleasing and balanced facial appearance.
3. Lifts Sagging Skin: Adding volume to the cheeks can provide a lifting effect, helping to lift sagging skin and tissues in the mid-face area. This can contribute to a more youthful and refreshed appearance.
4. Improves Facial Proportions: Balanced facial proportions are key to overall facial harmony. By enhancing the cheeks, cheek augmentation can help create a better balance between the different facial features.
5. Provides Youthful Appearance: Full, well-contoured cheeks are often associated with youthfulness. Cheek augmentation can help reverse the signs of aging and restore a more youthful look to the face.
6. Addresses Asymmetry: Cheek augmentation can also be used to address facial asymmetry, where one cheek is less prominent than the other. By adding volume to the less prominent side, symmetry can be improved.
7. Non-Surgical Option: For those who prefer a non-surgical approach, dermal fillers can be used to achieve temporary cheek augmentation. This option provides immediate results with minimal downtime.
8. Customizable Results: Cheek augmentation is highly customizable. The amount of volume added and the specific areas targeted can be tailored to each individual’s unique facial structure and goals.
It’s important to note that cheek augmentation should be performed by a qualified and experienced plastic surgeon or facial aesthetic specialist. During a consultation, the practitioner will assess your facial anatomy, discuss your concerns and goals, and recommend the most appropriate approach for achieving your desired results. Whether you opt for surgical implants or non-surgical dermal fillers, the goal is to create a natural and harmonious enhancement that enhances your overall facial aesthetics.
How long does cheek augmentation last?
The duration of the results from cheek augmentation can vary depending on the type of procedure performed and the specific materials used. Cheek augmentation can be achieved through surgical implants or non-surgical dermal filler injections, and each option has its own longevity. Here’s what you can generally expect in terms of how long the results last:
1. Surgical Cheek Implants: Cheek augmentation achieved through surgical implants is considered a permanent solution. The implants are made of biocompatible materials that are designed to be well-tolerated by the body. Once the implants are placed, they do not typically degrade or diminish over time. This means that the results of surgical cheek augmentation with implants are generally long-lasting.
2. Dermal Filler Injections: Dermal fillers, which provide a non-surgical approach to cheek augmentation, offer temporary results. The longevity of dermal filler results varies depending on the specific filler used, the individual’s metabolism, and other factors. On average:
- Hyaluronic Acid Fillers: These are among the most common dermal fillers used for cheek augmentation. The results from hyaluronic acid fillers can last anywhere from 6 months to 2 years, with some variations depending on the product used.
- Calcium Hydroxylapatite Fillers: These fillers tend to have a longer duration, with results lasting around 12 to 18 months.
- Poly-L-lactic Acid Fillers: These fillers stimulate collagen production over time, providing gradual and longer-lasting results. The effects can last up to 2 years or more.
- Autologous Fat Transfer: In this procedure, fat is harvested from another area of the body and injected into the cheeks. While some of the fat may be absorbed by the body initially, the remaining fat can provide long-lasting results.
It’s important to keep in mind that individual experiences may vary, and factors such as metabolism, lifestyle, and the specific products used can impact how long the results last. If you choose dermal fillers, maintenance treatments will be needed to sustain the desired level of augmentation. Your practitioner can provide guidance on when to schedule follow-up appointments to maintain your results.
If you’re considering cheek augmentation, it’s advisable to consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon or a qualified facial aesthetic specialist. They can recommend the most suitable approach based on your goals, preferences, and desired longevity of results.
How much do cheekbone implants cost?
The cost of cheekbone implants, also known as cheek implants, can vary depending on several factors, including the geographic location of the surgical facility, the experience of the surgeon, the type of implants used, the facility fees, anesthesia costs, and any additional expenses associated with the surgery. It’s important to note that the total cost may also include pre-operative consultations, post-operative appointments, and any necessary medical tests.
The average cost of cheekbone implant surgery in the United States can range from approximately $3,000 to $6,000 or more. However, these figures are general estimates and can vary widely based on the factors mentioned above.
To obtain an accurate cost estimate for cheekbone implant surgery, I recommend scheduling consultations with board-certified plastic surgeons in your area. During these consultations, the surgeons can evaluate your specific needs, discuss the type of implants they recommend, and provide you with a personalized cost estimate. It’s important to choose a qualified and experienced surgeon who can provide safe and effective results.
Keep in mind that while cost is an important consideration, your choice of surgeon and the quality of care they provide should be a top priority. It’s generally not recommended to make decisions solely based on the lowest price, as the experience and skills of the surgeon can greatly impact the outcome of your cheek implant surgery.
What are the options for cheekbone augmentation?
Cheekbone augmentation can be achieved through various surgical and non-surgical options, each offering unique benefits and considerations. The choice of method depends on factors such as your goals, preferences, anatomical features, and the advice of a qualified medical professional. Here are the main options for cheekbone augmentation:
1. Surgical Cheek Implants: Surgical cheek implants involve placing solid implants made of biocompatible materials (such as silicone or porous polyethylene) over the natural cheekbones to enhance their projection and contour. These implants are available in different shapes and sizes to achieve the desired aesthetic result. The procedure is performed under anesthesia, and the implants are positioned through incisions typically made inside the mouth or lower eyelid. Surgical cheek implants provide a permanent solution and can be customized to your facial structure.
2. Dermal Fillers: Dermal fillers are a non-surgical option for cheekbone augmentation. Hyaluronic acid-based fillers, such as Juvéderm and Restylane, can be injected into the cheeks to add volume, enhance contours, and achieve a lifted appearance. The results are immediate, and the procedure requires little to no downtime. However, dermal fillers offer temporary results, lasting from several months to a couple of years, depending on the specific product used.
3. Autologous Fat Transfer: In this procedure, your own fat is harvested from one area of your body (often through liposuction) and then purified and injected into the cheeks to augment their appearance. This approach offers natural-looking results, and some of the transferred fat can establish long-term survival in the cheeks. However, not all of the transferred fat may survive, and touch-up procedures might be necessary.
4. Non-Surgical Thread Lifts: Thread lifts involve inserting dissolvable sutures under the skin to lift and reposition sagging tissues. While not a direct method of cheekbone augmentation, thread lifts can provide a subtle lift to the mid-face area and enhance cheek contours to some extent. Thread lifts are a minimally invasive option with temporary results.
5. Temporary Cheek Makeup: For individuals seeking an immediate but non-permanent enhancement, makeup techniques can be used to contour the cheeks and create the illusion of higher cheekbones. This is not a permanent solution but can be effective for special occasions or when trying out a new look.
When considering cheekbone augmentation, it’s important to consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon or qualified facial aesthetic specialist. They can evaluate your facial anatomy, discuss your goals, and recommend the most suitable option based on your individual needs. Your practitioner will help you make an informed decision about the approach that aligns with your desired outcome, budget, and preferences.
Dr Clara Lee is specializes in aesthetic/cosmetic plastic surgery of the face, nose, breast and body, and is considered one of the best facial plastic surgeons in the world. MD, FACS, is highly qualified and experienced in the field of plastic surgery and aesthetic care and has performed over 10,000 surgical procedures.
Dr. Clara Lee couples his outstanding professional credentials and ethics with a personalized approach to patient care and a keen eye for aesthetic beauty.
Specialties: plastic surgeon, plastic surgery
by Clara Lee
Reviewed by Clara Lee
approved by Dr Clara Lee
<a href=”https://www.mswtc.org/about-us/”>Dr. Clara Lee</a>
<a href=”https://www.mswtc.org/about-us/”>About Us</a>